I know you go crazy from time to time; it’s okay. It’s a part of the growing process and I promise you’ll see the light one day. You can’t change these periods but here are some things to remember to make them better.
- Even if you think your resting face is a sad face, it should be a smiling one. Instead of sitting around listening to “Jolene” for the thousandth time because you’re convinced one day it won’t make you cry, you should put on Zoolander or “Bohemian Rhapsody” and do that funny little dance you do. You may not feel like it now, but you’ll thank me five minutes down the line.
- Stop comparing yourself to everyone else. Your journey is inherently different than theirs; so what if some talented kid gets famous at 17? Maybe they won’t be relevant in a few years when it is finally your time. Or maybe they will. Why should it bother you? Just think, Roy Orbison watched person after person get famous well before his time simply because he was meant to sing rock ballads and was kind of weird looking. He may not be the best example because he was really egomaniacal but he didn’t give up on his dreams and neither should you.
- Even the weird looking ones fall in love. Don’t think yourself so broken that no one will see how beautiful you are. Hold on tight because one day you won’t be so lonely and these days of personal torment are going to seem really trivial.
- Don’t be overwhelmed by the voices in your head. Some of them have good messages for you and some need to be silenced. Your world doesn’t need to stop spinning simply because you can’t distinguish the good ones from the bad. Just take a breath and count to ten backwards.
- Dance around in your underwear. Put on that horrible pop song that will be stuck in your head for a millennia after you hear it, strip down and boogie on reggae woman.
And in conclusion: don’t focus on the failures, just be patient, and remember to fall in love with yourself from time to time. It’s okay to think you’re too cool for school or that you just created something amazing, even if no one else sees it just yet. Remember that people love you and you’re time in the sun will come soon enough.